So like many of my readers I have seen those beautiful family walls on Pinterest and really really wanted one. I had the perfect spot and then I started pricing out the cost of canvas and fancy clocks and vinyl sayings. Yeah it wasn’t pretty (even with promo codes and coupons). So I improvised, and created the wall you see above for under $50.00!
- Cheap picture frames/shadow boxes: I got mine at Michael’s for $17.00 on sale Buy 1 Get 1. So I got 4 frames. BONUS: Teachers always get a percentage off too so it was actually cheaper for me!
- Pictures: I printed mine as a 5×7 at Target for $4.00
- Clocks: I got mine at the Family Dollar of all places. Only paid $5.00 a clock!
- Vinyl + access to some sort of die cut machine (Cricut, Silhouette): Michael’s also has sheets of this for $9.99 a package (comes with 2 large sheets).
- Scrapbook paper
- Thread & Needle
- First I went to Google Maps and typed in the hospitals and location of our wedding. I obviously did each one individually and then I copied them and pasted them into Microsoft word, turned them grey scale and added a clipart heart shape around the hospital name/wedding location and then printed them off.
- Next I took some embroidery floss and separated it into 3 strands (instead of 6) and stitched around the heart outline.
- Then I opened up my Cricut software, downloaded a digital cartridge (My Community Classmate) and cut out the clock and date out of scrap paper I had laying around.
- I also used scrap paper to put a border around each picture and some random scrap booking corner stickers that I found at Michael’s for $0.99!
- I glued everything down and put it in the frame.
- For the vinyl I also used my Cricut and vinyl and cut out the word “Family” “joy” and “love” and the two hearts.
- Jason helped me hang everything and Voila! I am pretty much in love! I still want to add “Moments paused in time” under the clock in vinyl, but mostly it is perfect.
Much more affordable. It is not exactly what I was wanting (I really really really wanted to use old pocket watches in place of the paper cutouts and nix the larger clocks, but I digress).
Show me your family walls people!