This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are…
Now at 36, a tonsillectomy is a bit different to recover from and the comments we get from providers and friends are not too comforting. So I decided to put together a little tonsillectomy survival kit to help the hubby get through what is lining up to be a pretty rough recovery.
The number one thing we have been told is to stay hydrated by any means necessary, because adults tend to over medicate and under hydrate which makes recovery very difficult. If you are going to put a kit together here are a few things to include:
- Soup: liquid foods are great and anything that they do not need to chew and is easy to swallow. (lawdy the amount of people commenting on the tomato soup…apologies, it was what I had in the house at the time…for the photo and what my husband could hold down ENT approved, obviously follow your doctor’s orders).
- Tea and a mug: To help with hydration having tea can be a great addition to a water filled day.
- Yogurt and Applesauce: Great foods to help nourish the body
- Popsicles: Cold on the throat to help soothe
- Get Well Card: A lovely note to help the patient know that you love and care for them
- Gift Cards: This could be for the person going through the surgery or for the family caring for them.
- Water or a water bottle: HYDRATE!
- Kleenex Go-Anywhere: When you are recovering, tissue is great to have on hand. With tonsillectomies, it is often difficult to swallow, which does not stop saliva from building up. Combat that with Kleenex!
Kleenex Go-Anywhere packs are my favorite travel tissue packs. They have a strap with a snap to help secure the tissue to whatever you desire. I bought a couple of these packs and have them placed in our vehicles and around the house as well as my purse and our swim bag. You can never have enough tissue and with the husband still recovering from the nasal cavity surgery and now having the tonsil surgery we will be going through a lot of these.
You know I am always on the hunt for a good deal and I never buy anything without a coupon. My kids know that if it is not on sale or I do not have a coupon, we do not purchase it. I found Kleenex Go-Anywhere packs at my local Walmart in the tissue section and I had a $0.50 off coupon that I used to save even more! You can get your coupon here!