Last weekend, the husband and I set out on an adventure to finally build the shed we have wanted since we moved in to our home 7 years ago. It was by far one of my favorite things we have built together and I had so much fun! Check out how it all went.
We started this entire project getting approval from our HOA for the shed type and size. We went with an 8×8 shed kit from Lowe’s and decided to put the shed over the area of grass that has been destroyed by our dogs and the terrible runoff we get from all the neighbors. I swear the rest of our yard does not look this terrible. The kit was pretty easy to put together as long as you really followed the directions and read and re-read until you were sure. We started with the floor frame and leveling it. This part went super well!
After we built the floor, we started on framing the walls. My biggest tip for anyone building the kit, is to measure twice and make sure to mark and double check everything. In addition, we borrowed an air nail gun to speed up the process. The shed kit does come with nails, but it would be hand nailing and ain’t no one got time for that. We were able to really “nail” out much of the framing in just a couple hours!
My brother-in-law came over to help and while I ran to the store to grab food to make dinner, the boys built the back wall…notice anything just a little off? It was too late to fix it, but again, measure and re-measure and make those marks. Had those boys double checked the level (and had I been here lol) that board would be perfectly straight!
Either way, the crooked board didn’t make a difference. These three walls are very sturdy! At this point we were about 3 hours in and pretty impressed with our work. At this rate we would likely have the shed done in a day.
We started framing the roof and I know all of us were surprised how easy it was to make the roof joists and secure everything. One thing we did keep talking about is how just adding the metal pieces that you normally see on big builds would make this go quicker, but for the cost of the kit and the relative ease of build, it was just fine using only wood.
My brother-in-law had to leave before we lost daylight and the husband and I were left trying to finish the main build. Our goal was to have the roof on. We had everything done but the roof pieces and thankfully our wonderful new neighbor offered to come over and help us get the roof on before we lost all light. We called it a night before the entire shed was done and got up the next morning to finish the main build.
We only had the doors left to put on and about an hour later we were all done! I think the husband and I were so impressed with how smooth this went and how fun it really was. We had wanted this shed for so long and finally it was mostly done, without even so much as an argument between either of us. We are not done just yet. We still have caulking and paint and a ramp to do this weekend and then next weekend we will likely start shingling the roof! However, we are so happy with how this went and proud of the work we put in!