I would be lying if I told you that last week was boring, because it totally was not. We had a blessed week that was right in our frugal little budget, surrounded with great friends and family and fun too! Our theme last week was “creatures” and our plan is below.
Movie Monday: My mom, the kids and I headed to our local theater to catch “The BoxTrolls”. The kids had already seen this a few weeks ago but did not watch it all they way through. For my mom and I it was a first. I actually really liked the movie, even though I was not keen on the previews and did not see it originally in theaters. Super cute and it gave me some pretty good ideas for our dinner later in the week.
Time off Tuesday: The kids headed over to grandma’s where they played outside the majority of the day and I worked on my grad classes. They had fun, I learned…it wasn’t near as fun as what they did.
Water Wednesday: These are always a bit tricky depending on the weather. It was wishy washy so we stayed closer to home than originally planned. We hit up a brand new local splash park with a friend for a couple hours. It was truly a creature experience as I ended up having to rope in the crazy kids whose parents clearly didn’t care that they were trying to drown my 2 year old. #MamaBearDontPlayNice. All is well, the sassy princess is a fighter.
Travel Thursday: This was my most favorite day of all! We hit up the Denver Museum of Nature and Science for a fantastic day with our family to see all sorts of creatures from real (dead) ones to mythic ones. We had a blast and met a unicorn.
Family Friday: This week was busier than the last couple. So we laid low for the day and vegged out at home. Everyone took naps, except me because I had to write an obscene amount of papers and then I cooked an absolutely delicious BoxTrolls themed dinner of Salmon, Deviled Eggs and Cheesy Garlic Biscuits. It was epic and you can check out the recipes below.
Spicy Enchilada Salmon:
- 1 can of red enchilada sauce
- 2 filets of salmon
- 3-5 sprigs of cilantro (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 450º
- Lay your salmon filets on a piece of aluminum foil.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the filet (you make want to place the foil inside a casserole dish)
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over it
- If you would like place the cilantro sprigs on top of it.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- 1/2 cup of greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of 7up
- 2 cups of biscuit baking mix
- 1 tsp of garlic salt
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheese
- Melt the butter in the bottom of your baking dish (mine is 8×10)
- Mix the 7UP, Biscuit mix, garlic salt, cheese and yogurt in a separate larger bowl.
- Using a spatula, spread the dough mixture over the butter until its thickness is even
- Back at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of mayonaise
- 1/8 cup of dill relish
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp of paprika
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of mustard
- Hard boil the eggs and allow to cool
- Cut eggs in half, remove yolk and place in a small mixing bowl, place egg whites on a separate dish.
- Mix egg yolks, mayo, dill relish, garlic salt, paprika, onion powder and mustard until mixture is smooth.
- Fill the egg whites with the yolk mixture and if you would like sprinkle some paprika for decoration.
Our weekend was just as busy with a family wedding where the sassy peanut thought the bride was a princess and a great Father’s day complete with a meal fit for a king. Hope your week was great. If you want to know what our plan is this week check it out below.