This weekend Colorado was supposed to get the biggest snowstorm of the season and of course I prepped to stay at home and enjoy comfort food and family time. One of our favorite family meals is my mom’s homemade Potato Soup recipe that is literally so rich, and creamy that it is difficult to only eat one bowl. This might just be the best recipe I have ever shared!
- 10 medium potatoes
- 1 lb of breakfast sausage
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 cups of chopped baby carrots
- 1 medium onion minced
- 3 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1 TBS of celery salt
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups of water
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
Directions: (There is about 15 minutes of prep for this)
- Brown your sausage in a pan and while you are doing that, clean, peel and dice your potatoes into whatever size you prefer.
|I usually make them a bit larger but have done smaller pieces and it still tastes the same.|
- Chop and mince the carrots, onions and celery.
|My husband hates cooked carrots and so I always mince those but they taste great left whole as well.|
- Place all ingredients into your slow cooker. I like to layer potatoes on bottom, then veggies, then more potatoes then sausage and then more potatoes.
|I love the Ziploc Slow Cooker liners. Makes for an amazingly easy clean up!|
- Add the can of cream of mushroom soup and the pepper, celery salt and if you would like salt then pour 4 cups of water over those spices and soup.
- Place the lid on and cook on high for 4 hours. Stir periodically.
- About an 30 minutes before you are ready to serve add in the pint of heavy whipping cream.